| Description | Papers of Amicie Lebaudy including correspondence, mainly in support of Paul Droulde and Gabriel Syveton, 1899-[1905]; personal diary, 1900-1908; notes by Lebaudy and correspondence relating to Dr Léon Petit and Soeur Candide, [1910]-[1912]; biography of Lebaudy and typed copy of an article 'Le Gaulois 30 Mai 1890'.
Papers of the Sanatorium du Mont des Oiseaux in Hyres, France, [1900-1909], including hospital registers, account books, invoices, letter book, correspondence of Dr Léon Petit including with Amicie Lebaudy, appointment books, equipment inventories, press cuttings, papers relating to the liquidation of the Sanatorium, and 34 photo plates showing different views of the Sanatorium.
Correspondence in English relating to the Lebaudy Collection at the Bodleian Library, 1912-1914. |
| AdminHistory | Amicie Lebaudy was the wife of Jules Lebaudy, she wrote works on the Jansnisme under the pseudonym of Guillaume Dall. Following her husband's death she devoted her income to social works including the restoration of the abbey of Port-Royal-of-Fields and the building of the Kereon lighthouse. She was a supporter of La Ligue de la patrie francaise and was also involved in the 'Syveton affair'. She was a principal patron and benefactor of the Sanatorium du Mont des Oiseaux.
The Sanatorium du Mont des Oiseaux was established in 1902 by Dr Léon Petit, a physician in San Salvadour, to accommodate adult TB patients in luxurious surroundings. He was a physician at the existing San Salvadour hospital, situated at the old castle, which was owned by Sister Candide and intended for pauper children. The architect of the new Sanatorium was Abel Gléna, who designed the buildings as three villas in an ornate Italianate style. The building project was financed by a National Lottery and a benefactor, Madame Lebaudy. In 1910, following a financial scandal, the sanatorium became the property of the French Red Cross and was used to house the wounded during 1914-1918 War. It was still used in the 1920s as a convalescent hospital, but by the late 1960s it was converted into houses. |
| CustodialHistory | Previously held at the Bodleian Library between 1912 and 1950. |