|StorageSite||UCL Institute of Education|
|Description||Administrative records of the College of Preceptors and College of Teachers, 1847-2008. Including constitutional, legal and membership records, 1847-1998; published calendars and registers, 1880-1940 and 1972-1987; Council records, 1848-1979; committee records including the finance committee, 1874-1966; examinations committee, 1885-1958; Education[al] committee, 1874-1919; Affiliation Committee, 1919-1920; special committees, 1885-1967; Executive Committee, 1931-1946; academic board, 1968-1981; Finance and General Purposes/Educational Times Committee, 1913-1980; House Committee, 1957-1964; Advisory Boards, 1955-1980; and Constitution Committee, 1979; financial records, 1874-1944; examination records, -1962; press cuttings, 1914-1974; papers regarding conferences and events, 1896-1945; publications, 1847-2010; administrative papers of the College of Teachers, 1997-2002; photographs and illustrations, [1754-1990s]; and papers and photographs relating to award ceremonies, 1973-1992. there is also a small amount of mixed-media material and information relating to historical studies of the College.|
|AdminHistory||The College was founded in 1846, as the Society of Teachers, by a group of private schoolmasters from Brighton, led by John Parker, who were concerned about standards within their profession. Three years later it was incorporated by Royal Charter as the College of Preceptors. The College pioneered a system for the formal examination and qualification of secondary school teachers (mainly in private schools) and many teachers have acquired the qualifications of the College: ACP (Associate); LCP (Licentiate); and FCP (Fellow). It was also one of the first bodies to examine and provide certificates for secondary school pupils of both sexes, from all over England and Wales, at different levels, and in a wide variety of subjects. Through its publications, meetings, lectures and discussions, the College also participated in debates on examinations, standards and a wide range of professional and educational issues, particularly those affecting private schooling. Many influential educationists have been associated with the College, either as members of Council or as lecturers or advisers, including Joseph Payne (1808-1876), Frances Mary Buss (1827-1894), and Sir John Adams (1857-1934). The name was changed to the College of Teachers by Supplemental Charter in 1998.|
The Chartered College of Teaching succeeds the College of Teachers, which was previously the body that held the Royal Charter for the teaching profession. A supplemental Charter to create the Chartered College of Teaching was approved by the Privy Council in June 2016 and sealed in July 2017.
The first College of Preceptors was housed at 28 Bloomsbury Square, and included an office for the Secretary and rooms suitable for a library and meetings.