|StorageSite||UCL Institute of Education|
|Reference Number ||GDS/13/16|
|Title||York High School (1880-1907)|
|Description||Various papers regarding York High School, including circular asking for subscriptions for the new school, 11 Aug 1880; letter from the Board of Education regarding the transfer of the school, 18 Sep 1907; list of former pupils and staff who became head mistresses, 1973; photocopy of a letter from the Church Schools Company in response to a request for information on Dulwich High School and York High School, 30 Dec 1970; press cuttings, 1903-1907, including an article regarding the closure of the Church High School for Girls in 1902 referring to the GPDSC school as a 'Higher Grade Board School'; and correspondence with the former pupils who attended the Trust centenary service, 1972. |
|AdminHistory||York High School opened in 1880 at Fishergate House. In 1891 the school established a kindergarten which also trained kindergarten students. In 1900 the school moved to Petergate and in 1904 additional buildings were taken to expand the school. Due to dwindling numbers the school closed in 1907. The building transferred to the Church School's Company and became the York College for Girls. The College closed in 1997. |
Show related Persons records.