|StorageSite||UCL Institute of Education|
|Description||Various files on teacher training in Trust schools and papers on Streatham Hill and Clapham Training College. |
In the early history of the Company, mistresses helped and trained 'pupil teachers' who usually intended to go on to teaching after graduation. From 1903 some of the larger school also developed teacher training departments, recognised by the Board of Education, where post-graduate students trained to become secondary, kindergarten, or art teachers. Many of the departments training kindergarten teachers were recognised by the National Froebel Union. The largest such department was housed at Belvedere School in Liverpool. Clapham High School founded a teacher training college around the turn of the 20th century, which later became Streatham Hill and Clapham Training College when the School closed. It was transferred to the London County Council in 1949 and became the Philippa Fawcett Teacher Training College. Most of the teaching training departments in other schools had closed before 1944.