|StorageSite||UCL Institute of Education|
|AdminHistory||The Institute was founded in 1902 as the London Day Training College. Financed and controlled by the London County Council and with the academic support of the University of London, it was initially a college for training elementary school teachers to work in the capital. In 1909 it became a School of the University of London, losing this status when, in 1932, it was transferred wholly to the control of the University. At this date it also changed its name to the Institute of Education, University of London. During the years it had gradually expanded its role, starting to train secondary school teachers and to offer higher degrees and research. Particularly important were its work in training teachers for colonial service and the establishment of the Child Development Department. |
In 1942 the McNair Committee was established by the Board of Education, 'To investigate the present sources of supply and the methods of recruitment and training of teachers and youth leaders and to report what principles should guide the Board in these matters in the future.' It published its report in 1944. It was divided over the best method of reorganising teacher training, and it was four years before, in 1949, a new scheme for London was instituted. An 'Area Training Organisation' (ATO) for the London area was created. Confusingly, this took the name University of London Institute of Education and comprised around thirty affiliated individual colleges and education departments, including the 'old' Institute of Education. A new governing body (Council), and committee structure was created for the scheme to look after syllabuses, examinations, etc for all the constituent colleges which retained their own local governing bodies and administrative structures for local matters. The separate identity of the old Institute, sometimes now termed 'central activity' or 'Central Institute' was ensured by the establishment of a separate governing body (Committee of Management) and committee structure. However, both 'Central' and 'Wider' Institues were administered from the 'Central Institute' building and shared one single administrative structure (registry, accounts office and examinations department).
This arrangement was dissolved in 1975 and in 1987 the Institute once again became a School of the University of London, incorporated by Royal Charter. As a graduate college of the federal University it offered a wide range of courses including initial teacher education, further professional development and research degree programmes and is a major centre for educational research.
It merged with UCL in December 2014, rescinding its charter.