StorageSiteUCL Institute of Education
Reference Number IE/1
TitleRecords of the Institute of Education 1902-1949
DescriptionRecords relating the work of the London Day Training College (from 1932 the University of London, Insitute of Education) from 1904 until the re-establishment of the Institute in response to the recommendations of the McNair Committee in 1949.

Papers comprise:
- Minutes of Academic Board; Local Committee and Council; University of London Training College's Delegacy (including the delegacy's groups); University of London, Institute of Education
- Letter books of the Principal of the LDTC / IOE, Sir John Adams and Sir Percy Nunn including general correspondence, and correspondence with the London County Council and the London County Council's Education Officer
- Internal memoranda books providing information for students on all aspects of courses and life at the Institute
- Internal administrative records relating to the College/Institute's relations with central government, London County Council
- Administrative records relating to teacher training
- Papers about lectures held at the Institute
- Correspondence and papers on the Institute's evacuation to Nottingham during the Second World War
- Correspondence and papers discussing the recommendations of the McNair Committee which culminated in the establishment of the Area Training Organisation at the University of London
- Student records for the Islington Training College for male student teachers (students were transferred to the London Day Training College during the First World War)
Extent112 boxes
AdminHistoryThe Institute was founded in 1902 as the London Day Training College. Financed and controlled by the London County Council and with the academic support of the University of London, it was initially a college for training elementary school teachers to work in the capital. In 1909 it became a School of the University of London, losing this status when, in 1932, it was transferred wholly to the control of the University. At this date it also changed its name to the Institute of Education, University of London. During the years it had gradually expanded its role, starting to train secondary school teachers and to offer higher degrees and research. Particularly important were its work in training teachers for colonial service and the establishment of the Child Development Department.

In 1942 the McNair Committee was established by the Board of Education, 'To investigate the present sources of supply and the methods of recruitment and training of teachers and youth leaders and to report what principles should guide the Board in these matters in the future.' It published its report in 1944. It was divided over the best method of reorganising teacher training, and it was four years before, in 1949, a new scheme for London was instituted. An 'Area Training Organisation' (ATO) for the London area was created. Confusingly, this took the name University of London Institute of Education and comprised around thirty affiliated individual colleges and education departments, including the 'old' Institute of Education. A new governing body (Council), and committee structure was created for the scheme to look after syllabuses, examinations, etc for all the constituent colleges which retained their own local governing bodies and administrative structures for local matters. The separate identity of the old Institute, sometimes now termed 'central activity' or 'Central Institute' was ensured by the establishment of a separate governing body (Committee of Management) and committee structure. However, both 'Central' and 'Wider' Institues were administered from the 'Central Institute' building and shared one single administrative structure (registry, accounts office and examinations department).

This arrangement was dissolved in 1975 and in 1987 the Institute once again became a School of the University of London, incorporated by Royal Charter. As a graduate college of the federal University it now offers a wide range of courses including initial teacher education, further professional development and research degree programmes and is a major centre for educational research. On 2nd December 2014 the Institute merged with University College London, becoming a single faculty school. At this point the Institute relinquished its charter and degree awarding powers.
Related MaterialIE/COL - records of the Colonial Department
IE/EXN - Examination Records
IE/HIS - small collections relating to the history of the London Day Training College and the Institute of Education
IE/OSD - records of the Oversea Division
IE/PHO - photographs
IE/PUB - publications including annual reports, regulations and syllabuses, annual accounts, and The Londinian (College magazine)
IE/STU - student records
IE/SFR - staff records
IE/4/1 - papers of Thomas Percy Nunn Principal of the London Day Training College 1922-1932; Director of the Institute of Education 1932-1936
IE/4/2 - papers of Sir Fred Clarke Director of the Institute of Education 1936-1945
IE/4/3 - papers of G B Jeffrey Director of the Institute of Education 1945-1953 (central to the establishment of the Area Training Organisation at the Institute of Education, University of London
Add to My Items