StorageSiteUCL Institute of Neurology
Reference Number NHNN
TitleThe National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery
DescriptionThe archives of The National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery (NHNN) include records detailing the establishment and administration of the Hospital, financial records, records relating to events and fund-raising, health records, nursing records, staff records, property records, and many photographs and press cuttings. Photographs and other images can be found mainly in the NHNN/P section, but are also widely scattered throughout the Collection. Unless indicated 'Hospital' refers to the National Hospital, Queen Square.

Related archives held elsewhere:
Ballance, Sir Charles: Royal College of Surgeons of England (RCS)
Bastian, Henry Charlton: The Royal Society, Wellcome Library
Brown-Squard, Charles Edouard: Royal College of Physicians of England and Wales (RCP)
Buzzard, Sir Edward Farquhar: Bodleian Library
Ferrier, Sir David: King's College London, Royal College of Physicians of England and Wales (RCP)
Gowers, Sir William Richard: The Royal Society, University College London (UCL), Wellcome Library
Horsley, Sir Victor: Royal College of Surgeons of England (RCS), University College London (UCL), Wellcome Library
Risien Russell, James Samuel: Museum of Central Africa, Brussels, H M Stanley papers, letters
Symonds, Sir Charles: Wellcome Library
Walshe, Sir Francis Martin Rouse: Royal College of Physicians of England and Wales (RCP), University College London (UCL)
Warrington, Elizabeth: Wellcome Library.
AdminHistoryThe Hospital was founded in 1859 under the title of The National Hospital for the Paralysed and Epileptic, thanks to the pioneering efforts of Johanna Chandler, her sister Louisa Chandler and their brother Edward Chandler, who decided to raise funds to provide for the care and treatment of those suffering from paralysis and epilepsy. They were substantially helped by David Wire, Lord Mayor of London, who became the first Chairman of the Hospital's Board of Management, and who used his influence to stimulate interest in the new institution among members of wealthy City companies. No 24 Queen Square, Bloomsbury, was acquired as the site of the new hospital, and it opened in 1860, subsequently acquiring adjoining properties in the square as its premises expanded. It was familiarly known as the National Hospital. In 1869 two houses were purchased at East Finchley for use as a convalescent home. There were two major stages in the extension of the Hospital in the nineteenth century. A new wing on a site at Powis Place, a small cul-de-sac to the east of Queen Square, was opened in 1881 by Princess Christian, after whom the wing was named; while the redevelopment of that part of the Hospital fronting Queen Square was completed in 1885 and opened by the Prince of Wales as a memorial to his late brother, the Duke of Albany. Under the National Health Service Act, 1948, the National Hospital was amalgamated with Maida Vale Hospital to form The National Hospitals for Nervous Diseases, under a new Board of Governors.
AccessStatusCertain restrictions apply
AccessConditionsThe papers are available subject to the usual conditions of access to Archives and Manuscripts material, after the completion of a Reader's Undertaking.
Add to My Items